|Gas Equipment Operator I|
|$32,552 to an annual maximum rate of $49,212 depending upon qualifications|
Job FLSA Status
|The purpose of this position is to participate in the maintenance and repair of the natural gas system.
This position requires the abilities and skills to operate and maintain heavy equipment used in installation and repairs of the natural gas system as well as transporting equipment and crews to the job-site.
|EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
• Investigates, identifies, and repairs gas leaks.
• Inspects gas piping for atmospheric corrosion and leaks.
• Performs new line installations.
• Performs meter sets and change-outs.
• Assists in the construction of regulator stations.
• Performs field duties pertaining to gas system infrastructure.
• Locates and marks underground gas lines.
• Disconnects and reconnects gas services.
• Performs weekly vehicle and equipment inspections.
• Loads and unloads parts and materials.
• Participates in facilities and landscaping maintenance.
• Participates in on-call rotation schedule and responds to after-hours emergencies.
• Operates a variety of hand and power tools.
• Operates heavy equipment such as backhoe, track-hoe, dump truck, etc.
• Pours and finishes concrete.
• Attends training required to meet the qualifications of this position
• Performs related duties as assigned.
• This position requires being on a rotating call schedule
• Completes all required Operators Qualification Program modules identified and required by this position.
|DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience:
(A) High school diploma or GED equivalent; and
(B) Ability to read, write and perform mathematical calculations at a level commonly associated with the completion of high school or equivalent.
(C) Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
(D) Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated. CDL Class A preferred. Must be able to obtain CDL within the probationary period.
|Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
(A) Knowledge of department safety policies and procedures.
(B) Knowledge of natural gas system maintenance and repair principles.
(C) Knowledge of natural gas system standards and specifications.
(D) Knowledge of safety regulations.
(E) Knowledge of area streets and roads.
(F) Knowledge of equipment operation guidelines.
(G) Skill in the operation of assigned vehicles and equipment.
(H) Skill in problem solving.
(I) Skill in interpersonal relations.
(J) Skill in oral and written communication.
Job Computer Skills
|TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Motorized vehicles and equipment, including tractor, pickup truck, chainsaws, saws, pumps, compressors, sanders, generators, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, detection devices, mobile radio, mini/excavator, jackhammer.
The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, bending, crouching, walking, or stooping. The employee frequently lifts light and heavy objects, climbs ladders, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and vibration. The employee occasionally works in the proximity of live gas lines, vehicular traffic and in high, precarious places. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock.
The noise level in the environment is usually loud.
Work requires the use of protective devices such as masks, goggles, gloves, etc.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
City Of Covington Department