Important Council Meeting Information
August 01, 2019
~~This meeting will be held at Legion Field (3173 Mill St.)because of the ongoing renovations to the Council Room at City Hall. Capacity at Legion Field is 2.5 times that of the previous Council Room. This event will be live streamed as we have the last several meetings. The link is on our homepage.
Also, the first portion of the meeting will be dedicated to a discussion of Ethylene Oxide in Covington and the public is encouraged to speak and submit questions. We have invited several relative organizations / people and are awaiting confirmation of their attendance. While they were invited to attend Monday's meeting, the EPA / EPD has committed to a separate Town Hall meeting later in August. We will announce plans for follow up meetings at Monday's meeting.~~
CITY OF COVINGTON
3173 MILL STREET
AUGUST 5, 2019
Mayor Ronnie Johnston, Mayor Pro-tem Kenneth Morgan, Council members: Hawnethia Williams, Michael Whatley, Josh McKelvey, Anthony Henderson, and Susie Keck, City Manager Leigh Anne Knight, City Clerk Audra M. Gutierrez, and City Attorney Frank Turner, Jr.
1. Call to order, invocation, and Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on July 22, 2019.
3. Discussion of the final reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
“AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISION OF TITLE 9 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF AMENDING SECTION 9.12.020 (DISCHARGING FIREARMS IN CITY) AS A PART OF CHAPTER 9.12 (WEAPONS) THEREOF, TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”
4. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
5. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
6a. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area July 29, 2019, expost facto.
6b. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area August 1, 2019, expost facto.
6c. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area August 7 & 8, 2019.
6d. Approval of request for downtown permit in September for Lunchtime Concerts on the Square.
6e. Approval of request for road closure on October 6, 2019 for the Rotary Car Show.
6f. Approval of an application to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption and ancillary tastings only:
Town Square Olive Oil, LLC
1130 Church Street
7. Recreation Board update.
8. Discussion of bids for the Walnut Street Culvert Replacement project.
9. Discussion of bid to purchase transformers for the Electric Department.
10. Discussion of Turner Lake Rd/Old Clark Street abandonment.
11. Discussion of a resolution to hold a hearing on relocation of the Municipal Election Polling Location.
12. Public comments.
13. Comments from the City Manager.
14. Comments from the Mayor and Council.
Return to list.
Unemployment is down. Opportunity is up!
Got Jobs? We do! From 12% in 2012, Covington's unemployment rate sits at just 4.7% today.