City Council Meeting
Monday, August 19, 2019 | 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Mill Street, Covington, Ga.
3173 Mill Street
***WORK SESSION @ 5:30 PM***
CITY OF COVINGTON
3173 MILL STREET
AUGUST 19, 2019
Mayor Ronnie Johnston, Mayor Pro-tem Kenneth Morgan, Council members: Hawnethia Williams, Michael Whatley, Josh McKelvey, Anthony Henderson, and Susie Keck, City Manager Leigh Anne Knight, City Clerk Audra M. Gutierrez, and City Attorney Frank Turner, Jr.
1. Call to order, invocation, and Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
-Introduction of new Planning & Zoning Director Mary Darby
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on August 5, 2019.
3. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
4. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
5a. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area August 12, 13, 14, 16 & 19, 2019, expost facto.
5b. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area August 22, 23, 28, 29, & 30, 2019.
5c. Approval of request for relocation of road closure for the Community On Our Knees event on September 22, 2019.
5d. Approval of request for downtown permit for the Cheerios Challenge on April 18, 2020.
5e. Approval of 2019-2020 the City’s Property and Casualty Insurance renewal.
5f. Approval of abandonment of Turner Lake Road/Old Clark Street.
5g. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area August 29, & 30, 2019.
6. Discussion of public hearing concerning an application for a Special Use Permit to allow an early learning center to be located at 8141-8151 Hazelbrand Road.
7. Recreation Board update.
8. Discussion of Hwy 278 CID master plan with design changes as provided by GDOT.
9. Discussion of second amendment to the City of Covington’s Defined Benefit Plan.
10. Discussion of bid for Covington Town Center sewer addition.
11. Discussion of the first reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington dealing with wireless facilities and antennas in public rights-of-way.
12. Discussion of bids to purchase a 45’ service bucket truck for the Electric Department.
13. Discussion of bids to purchase a 60’ material handling bucket truck for the Electric Department.
14. Discussion of sole bid to purchase a tractor with a rotary cutter for the Street Department.
15. Discussion of air testing.
16. Discussion of potential severance package.
17. Public comments.
18. Comments from the City Manager.
19. Comments from the Mayor and Council.
20. Enter into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing land opportunities.
Arbor Day in Covington
Every year, Georgia celebrates Arbor Day on the third Friday in February and Covington hosts a grand celebration of their own. Complete with guest speakers, refreshments and a poetry and art contest Arbor Day in Covington is a day to celebreate. Those in attendance even get to leave with a complimentary tree to plant.