The Mayor and City Council value that educational options are available locally.
The Newton County School system is a growing with an enrollment of 20,000 students at 23 schools.
From national awards for educational excellence to championship level athletic teams, Newton County schools have plenty to be prud of. For a complete list of accolades, visit: Newton County Schools Points of Pride
Four colleges are located in Newton County. Oxford College, Georgia Perimeter College, Troy State, and DeKalb Tech each bring different segments of higher education and technical education options and choices to local citizens and are significant resource for the further development of the county.
The City of Covington, as well as other members of the Newton County Leadership Collaborative, is committed to promoting the development of a broad range of educational options to enhance Newton's economic development competitiveness.
Ecnomic Development Strategy for Covington/Newton County Georgia
5.4.4 Expand Educational Opportunities
Provide State of the Art Vocational Training
- Establish linkages between existing business base, K-12 schools and the technical colleges to offer vocational training that is relevant to the existing needs of Newton employers
- Create structure to promote cooperative education between business base, K-12 schools and technical colleges
- Create Career Academy close to employers
- Support inititiatives to attract private school options to the CountyExpand honors and advanced placement curriculums in the Newton County School sytem
5.4.5 Promote Life Long Learning
Goal: Differentiate Newton County and its communities from similar Georgia Communities by creating unique environment of life-long learning
- Evaluate current educational offerings for all segments of population to establish priorities for improvement
- Establish a central clearinghouse of information to promote existing educational options and opportunities, both public and private, for all residents and employers countrywide