2023 Lights at Legion
Our inaugural “Lights at Legion,” sponsored by Discover Covington and the City of Covington, will set Legion Field aglow with beautiful Christmas trees around the park starting on Friday, December 1, 2023.
“Lights at Legion” is a free event to attend. It will open on Friday, December 1, 2023. The event will start at 6:30 p.m. and include shopping at the Covington Mistletoe Market, a chance to visit with Santa when he arrives at 7:30 p.m., and Covington on Ice, the Rink at Legion, will be open. Then each night through Tuesday night, January 2, 2023, citizens can leisurely enjoy the lit Christmas trees while walking at Legion Field or skating at Covington on Ice.
If your business, organization or family would like to be a part of this inaugural event, you can purchase a tree and help set the ambience for this new holiday tradition. Help us line Legion Field with beautifully and creatively decorated trees that our community can enjoy throughout the holidays. Complemented by the ice skating rink, “Lights at Legion” will give your family and friends a place to delight in the joy of Christmas in Covington. THERE ARE ONLY 100 TREES AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE.
To purchase a Christmas tree to decorate, please fill out the application and return the application to COVFarmersMarket@cityofcovington.org. The cost of the tree is $75, cash or check made to “Discover Covington,” and includes the tree and a sign. Stands will be provided for use. Tree decorating will occur from noon on Wednesday, November 29, 2023 and must be completed by 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 30, 2023. Please review the guidelines for decorating a tree to ensure your tree decorations will withstand the outdoors throughout the entirety of the holiday season. Purchase early as there are only 100 trees available.
LIGHTS AT LEGION TREE DECORATING GUIDELINES
After reserving your tree, check these guidelines for important decorating info.
- TREE DECORATING DAYS: Noon of Wednesday, November 29, 2023 through 5 p.m. on Thursday, November 30, 2023.
- TREE UNDECORATING DAY: Trees will be lit each night between Friday, December 1, 2023 through Tuesday, January 2, 2023 for citizens to enjoy for free. Please come out on Wednesday, January 3, 2023 or Thursday, January 4, 2023 to undecorate your tree. Decorations left on any tree will be disposed of accordingly.
NEEDED DECORATING SUPPLIES:
- OUTDOOR LED LIGHTS ONLY. No exceptions. If we find Non-LED lights tripping the electrical breakers, we will unplug the lights and they will need to be replaced with outdoor LED lights.
- Extension cord must be an OUTDOOR extension cord. If we find Non-Outdoor extension cords tripping the electrical breakers, we will unplug the cord and it will need to be replaced with an outdoor extension cord.
- Decorations must be able to withstand outdoor conditions, wind and rain. Please use zip-ties, pipe cleaners, string, or other ties to secure your decorations.
- Plastic drop cloth or other covering the grass if you plan to spray paint your tree.
- You may want to bring a step ladder. Trees range in height from 6 feet tall.
DECORATING TIPS & RULES
- Make sure your decorations are rain and wind safe. Trees will be standing outside in the elements for over 30 days.
- Secure ornaments to trees using zip ties, pipe cleaner, string, wire or other ties. Ornament hooks will fall off in the wind.
- Do not use water-soluble glue on ornaments.
- Spray any fabrics with Scotch Guard to prevent mildew.
- If you plan to spray paint your tree, please bring a drop cloth to protect the grass. Be mindful of your neighbors and the wind when spray painting.
- Please make sure to have an outdoor-rated extension cord and LED lights. This will help to make that process go smoothly.
- There should be NO decorations or additional signage in front of the tree except your tree sign issued by Discover Covington.
- A Discover Covington/City of Covington representative will check trees daily and will notify you of any lights or decorations that need to be maintained.
- You have until 5 p.m. on Thursday, November 30, 2023 to complete the decorations.