Backflow and Grease Compliance
The Water Resources Department is mandated by the State of Georgia EPD to implement regulatory programs for Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) and Cross Connection Control (Backflow). These programs are designed to protect the customer, the environment and the City's distribution and treatment systems.
Industrial Pretreatment Program
This progam established the department. Industrial Pretreatment has also experienced growth with the addition of industries. The City is currently permitting eleven industries, and inspections may prove the need for one or more permits in 2010.
The major duties associated with the administration of the Industrial Program Include:
- Annual walk-through inspections and interviews at each of the permitted industries
- Monitoring of each industry’s wastewater discharge and sampling each no less than once a month
- Surcharging industries for exceeding discharge limitations
The coordination of these programs in the Environmental Compliance Department is not just limited to the functions previously mentioned. The additional task of managing these programs’ responsibilities includes:
- Inspecting all new facilities for backflow, oil & grease, and industrial standards
- Issuing C/O’s for final compliance
Oil & Grease Program
- The responsibilities for the Oil & Grease Program entail routine grease trap inspections, tracking of waste hauler and disposal information, and enforcing penalties for non-compliance
- The department serves 133 food establishments in the City of Covington, with new traps being added constantly as the city grows with new restaurants, schools, and other facilities
Cross-Connection Control Program (Backflow Prevention)
- Inspecting facilities for proper backflow devices
- Inspection the installation of backflow devices
- Monitoring all facilities for compliance with required annual test and maintenance
Contact: David Powell
BACKFLOW TESTERS CONTACT LIST
Click image below
Please completely fill out the backflow test form. It MUST include the date of the test, the time (including AM or PM) of the test, test results and tester information (including phone number) and signature. If these items are not filled out, it will not be accepted. Thank you!