City Council Meeting
Tuesday, September 3, 2019 | 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Council Room-NEW LOCATION
formerly City of Covington Planning & Zoning Building
2116 Stallings Street
***WORK SESSION @ 5:30 PM***
CITY OF COVINGTON
SEPTEMBER 3, 2019
Mayor Ronnie Johnston, Mayor Pro-tem Kenneth Morgan, Council members: Hawnethia Williams, Michael Whatley, Josh McKelvey, Anthony Henderson, and Susie Keck, City Manager Leigh Anne Knight, City Clerk Audra M. Gutierrez, and City Attorney Frank Turner, Jr.
- Call to order, invocation, and Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
-Presentation of GFOA’s Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting.
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on August 19, 2019.
3. Discussion of the final reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
“AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISION OF TITLE 12 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF ADOPTING CHAPTER 12.06 (WIRELESS FACILITIES AND ANTENNAS IN PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY) THERETO, TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”
4. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
5. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
6a. Approval of an application to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption only for:
Pockets Billiards LLC
6185 Hwy 278 NE
6b. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area September 10-11, 2019.
6c. Approval of request for road closure on November 21, 2019 for the annual Lighting of Downtown Covington.
6d. Approval of sole bid to purchase extrication equipment for the Fire Department.
7. Discussion of the first reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington concerning Public Rights of Way Utility Accommodations.
8. Discussion of bids to purchase a skid steer tractor w/ attachments for the Street Department.
9. Discussion of bids to purchase a vacuum system trailer for the Street Department.
10. Discussion of sanitation bid for residential.
11. Discussion of sanitation bid for commercial.
12. Discussion of Change Order to the Pace Street project.
13. Discussion of amendment number one to the City of Covington’s Deferred Compensation Plan.
14. Discussion of VOYA Financial sponsor election for enrollment and on-going services.
15. Discussion of VOYA Financial Agreement for 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan for governmental employers.
16. Discussion of VOYA Financial Agreement for 401(b) Deferred Compensation Plan for governmental employers.
17. Public comments.
18. Comments from the City Manager.
19. Comments from the Mayor and Council.
Arbor Day in Covington
Every year, Georgia celebrates Arbor Day on the third Friday in February and Covington hosts a grand celebration of their own. Complete with guest speakers, refreshments and a poetry and art contest Arbor Day in Covington is a day to celebreate. Those in attendance even get to leave with a complimentary tree to plant.