City Council Meeting
Monday, September 16, 2019 | 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Council Room-NEW LOCATION
formerly City of Covington Planning & Zoning Building
2116 Stallings Street
***WORK SESSION @ 5:30 PM***
CITY OF COVINGTON
SEPTEMBER 16, 2019
Mayor Ronnie Johnston, Mayor Pro-tem Kenneth Morgan, Council members: Hawnethia Williams, Michael Whatley, Josh McKelvey, Anthony Henderson, and Susie Keck, City Manager Leigh Anne Knight, City Clerk Audra M. Gutierrez, and City Attorney Frank Turner, Jr.
1. Call to order, invocation, and Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on September 3, 2019.
3. Discussion of the final reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
“AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISION OF TITLE 12 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF ADOPTING CHAPTER 12.05 (PUBLIC RIGHTS OF WAY UTILITY ACCOMODATION POLICY) THERETO, TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”
4. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
5. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
6a. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area September 11-16, 2019, expost facto.
6b. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area September 20, 23-26, 2019.
6c. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area September 24-26, 2019.
6d. Approval of request for an event permit for the screening of Legacies Season Premiere and Q&A with cast on October 10, 2019.
6e. Approval of road closures in Clark’s Grove on Halloween night.
7. Discussion of Hwy 278 CID grant request.
8. Discussion of AGPA Mutual Aid Agreement.
9. Discussion of bids for proposed bore on Highway 11 @ I20.
10. Discussion of third amendment to the City of Covington’s Defined Benefit Plan.
11. Discussion of invoice from Newton County Tomorrow, Inc.
12. Discussion of bids for the 2019 LMIG.
13. Discussion of purchase of lighting for Covington Town Center and Nisshinbo.
14. Public comments.
15. Comments from the City Manager.
16. Comments from the Mayor and Council.
Arbor Day in Covington
Every year, Georgia celebrates Arbor Day on the third Friday in February and Covington hosts a grand celebration of their own. Complete with guest speakers, refreshments and a poetry and art contest Arbor Day in Covington is a day to celebreate. Those in attendance even get to leave with a complimentary tree to plant.