City Council Meeting
Monday, February 17, 2020 | 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
JOINT WORK SESSION WITH THE
NEWTON COUNTY BOC
ED, Main Street, and Tourism
***WORK SESSION to follow if time permits***
Boarded up homes
CITY OF COVINGTON
FEBRUARY 17, 2020
Mayor Steve Horton, Mayor Pro-tem Susie Keck, Council members: Hawnethia Williams, Kenneth Morgan, Fleeta Baggett, Anthony Henderson, and Don T. Floyd, City Manager Scott Andrews, City Clerk Audra M. Gutierrez, and City Attorney Frank Turner, Jr.
Call to order, invocation, and Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
-Arbor Day Proclamation
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on February 3, 2020.
3. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
4. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
5a. Approval of an application to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption only for:
Elea J’s Southern Table 6265 Highway 278 NE
5b. Approval of an application to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption only for:
Walmart Stores East, LP 10300 Industrial Blvd NE
5c. Approval of an application to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for Beer and/or Wine Retail Amenity only for:
Woven LLC 1134 Church Street
5d. Approval of request for filming in the downtown area on February 18, 2020.
5e. Approval of request for an Event Permit on May 7, 14, 21, & 28, 2020 for the Spring Lunchtime Concert Series.
5f. Approval of request for closures on May 9, 2020 for the Born to Run 5k.
5g. Approval of request for an Event Permit on May 16, 2020 for the Fort Valley State University on the Square at Covington event.
6. Discussion of contract for moving the Office of Economic Development (ED) to the Industrial Development Authority (IDA).
7. Discussion of Economic Development (ED).
8. Discussion of Main Street Covington.
9. Discussion of Tourism.
10. Discussion of a resolution of the City of Covington affirming its commitment to the prohibition of discrimination.
11. Discussion of public hearing on the proposed Text Amendment to Sec. 16.20.235 for Dwellings, Single-Family Detached:
“AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISIONS OF TITLE 16 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF AMENDING SECTION 16.16.020 (PERMITTED USES) OF CHAPTER 16.16 (STANDARD ZONING DISTRICTS) AND TO ADOPT SECTION 16.20.235 (DWELLING, SINGLE-FAMILY DETACHED) OF CHAPTER 16.20 (SUPPLEMENTAL USE PROVISIONS) AND TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”
12. Discussion of the first reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
“AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISION OF TITLE 13 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF AMENDING SECTION 13.08.290 (INDUSTRIAL SERVICE) AND SECTION 13.08.300 (LARGE INDUSTRIAL SERVICE) OF CHAPTER 13.08 (ELECTRIC SYSTEM) THEREOF, TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”
13. Discussion of Easement and MOU for Storm water Maintenance of property adjacent to Pace and Elm Streets.
14. Discussion of an affidavit stating the City’s plan to protect the confidentiality of the location and address of family violence shelters in the state of Georgia.
15. Discussion of MEAG MCT election for Off-System Sales & Voluntary Deposits.
16. Discussion of bids for a server room AC upgrade at City Hall.
17. Discussion of emergency repairs to Access Road due to water main rupture.
18. Discussion of bids for grinding services of yard debris.
19. Public comments.
20. Comments from the City Manager.
21. Comments from the Mayor and Council.
22. Enter into Executive Session for the purpose of discussing land opportunity, personnel matters, and litigation.
Arbor Day in Covington
Every year, Georgia celebrates Arbor Day on the third Friday in February and Covington hosts a grand celebration of their own. Complete with guest speakers, refreshments and a poetry and art contest Arbor Day in Covington is a day to celebreate. Those in attendance even get to leave with a complimentary tree to plant.