City Council Meeting
Monday, October 19, 2020 | 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
formerly City of Covington Planning & Zoning Building
2116 Stallings Street
***WORK SESSION @ 5:00 PM***
CITY OF COVINGTON
OCTOBER 19, 2020
Due to circumstances necessitated by emergency conditions involving public safety and preservation of public services, public access to this meeting is limited to teleconference.
THE PUBLIC MAY ACCESS THIS MEETING BY CALLING
+1 929 205 6099
Meeting ID: 741-740-8400
Mayor Steve Horton, Mayor Pro-tem Susie Keck, Council members: Hawnethia Williams, Kenneth Morgan, Fleeta Baggett, Anthony Henderson, and Don T. Floyd, City Manager Scott Andrews, City Clerk Audra M. Gutierrez, and City Attorney Frank Turner, Jr.
- Call to order, invocation, and Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America.
-Proclamation honoring Red Ribbon Week
-Proclamation declaring October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Representative Dave Belton to present a legislative update.
2. Discussion of the minutes from the Called Meeting held on September 29, 2020.
3. Discussion of the minutes from the Regular Council Meeting held on October 5, 2020.
4. Discussion of changes to the agenda.
5. Public comments for any item not on the agenda.
6. CONSENT AGENDA
6a. Approval of an application to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption only for:
Nagoya Japanese Steakhouse - 1065 Access Road
6b. Approval of applications to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption only for:
Beverage Mall - 7254 Washington Street SW
Food Depot #44 - 6169 Highway 278
Ingles Markets #439 - 9167 Highway 278 NE
Nitro 2 Go Beverage, LLC - 9135 Dr. M. L. King, Jr. Ave
Walgreen’s #13760 - 3188 Highway 278 NE
6c. Approval of an application to obtain a license for a Beer and/or Wine Retail Amenity only for:
Southern Heartland Gallery & Frame Shop - 1132 Monticello Street
6d. Approval of an application to obtain a license to sell alcoholic beverages for off-premises consumption and ancillary tastings only:
Town Square Olive Oil, LLC - 1130 Church Street
7. Discussion of public hearing for a special use permit for used car dealer/vehicle sales to be located at 5192 Dearing Street.
8. Discussion of public hearing for a special use permit for a veterinary clinic to be located at 5294 Adams Street.
9. Discussion of final plat to convey street R-O-W to the City at City at Covington Town Center.
10. Discussion of the first reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
“AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISION OF TITLE 16 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF AMENDING SECTION 16.08.010 (DEFINITIONS) OF CHAPTER 16.08 (INTERPETATIONS AND DEFINITIONS), AMENDING SECTIONS 16.16.020 (PERMITTED USES) AND 16.16.030 (SPACE DIMENSIONS) OF CHAPTER 16.16 (STANDARD ZONING DISTRICTS), DELETING SECTIONS 16.20.205 (DWELLING, MULTIFAMILY) AND 16.20.255 (DWELLING, TOWNHOUSE) OF CHAPTER 16.20 (SUPPLEMENTAL USE PROVISIONS), AMENDING SECTION 16.28.020 (BUILDING DESIGN) AND ADOPTING SECTION 16.28.025 (BUILDING TYPOLOGY) WITHIN CHAPTER 16.28 (CIVIC DESIGN), AMENDING SECTION 16.40.010 (OPEN SPACE) AND SECTION 16.40.020 (BUFFER REQUIRED) WITHIN CHAPTER 16.40 (OPEN SPACE, BUFFERS AND SCREENING) THEREOF, TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”
11. Discussion of a request for outdoor dining for the @ Local Coffee & Study Lounge located at 1109 Church Street.
12. Discussion of a request for outdoor dining for the Social Goat located at 1115 Church Street.
13. Discussion of bids for a Water Reclamation Facility Engineering evaluation.
14. Discussion of DBE Program Policy Statement for the Covington Municipal Airport.
15. Discussion of Letter of Intent to provide electric at the new Eastside High School.
16. Discussion of Electric Cities of Georgia (ECG) FY20 Year-end Statement and Contract Payment Reimbursement.
17. Discussion of the first reading of an ordinance for the City of Covington:
“AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF COVINGTON, GEORGIA, TO AMEND THE COVINGTON MUNICIPAL CODE, ENACTED AND ADOPTED ON THE 16TH DAY OF OCTOBER, 2001, AS AMENDED BY PREVIOUS AMENDMENTS, TO ALTER CERTAIN PROVISIONS OF TITLE 10 OF THE SAID CODE OF ORDINANCES FOR THE PURPOSE OF AMENDING SECTION 10.08.011 (THROUGH TRAFFIC IN RESIDENTIAL DISTRICTS) AS A PART OF CHAPTER 10.08 (PARKING AND THROUGH TRAFFIC) THEREOF, TO REPEAL CONFLICTING ORDINANCES AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES.”
18. Discussion of contribution to Newton County for local homeless shelter assistance.
19. Public comments.
20. Comments from the City Manager.
21. Comments from the Mayor and Council.
Arbor Day in Covington
Every year, Georgia celebrates Arbor Day on the third Friday in February and Covington hosts a grand celebration of their own. Complete with guest speakers, refreshments and a proclamation, Arbor Day in Covington is a day to celebrate. Those in attendance even get to leave with a complimentary tree to plant.